Sometime in late February, I finally bit the bullet, and decided to get my hearing loss checked out. I've noticed for several years that it seems like when people talked to me on my right side, I couldn't hear them as well as if they were on my left side. I chalked it up to excessive loud music when I was a punk teenager. The biggest issue for me was going to Grand Rapids Community College, and trying to talk to my fellow students during boring lectures. I'd either have to say "huh?" or just nod and pretend that I heard them when they whispered back to me. I didn't enjoy either option.
At the time, I didn't have a primary care doctor, so I made an appointment with a doctor that my roommate goes to. His name is Dr. App, and he is a big, friendly guy. He's at least 6"2", and looks like a football player. He said his brothers always tease him for being the smallest boy in the family. Apparently his parents are Andre the Giant and Wonder Woman. After telling him about my running, and desire to be in a triathlon, and the routine physical business, he told me I was in 'excellent health', his words not mine.
As he was pushing his computer tray out the door, I said "Hey, one last thing...I think I have some slight hearing loss in my right ear." Little did I know that this 'slight hearing loss' would have such a huge impact in my life... He said he'd send me out to a ENT (Ear, Nose, and Throat) specialist to have it checked out. That appointment was made for March 4th.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment