Sunday, May 31, 2009

Do you hear that?

A fun bonus that I have failed to mention about having an Acoustic Neuroma is that a vast majority of AN ears have tinnitus. Tinnitus is ringing, buzzing or other general 'white noise' that is sometimes constant, sometimes comes and goes, etc. It is different for everyone. I first noticed my tinnitus when the nurse at one of my appointments asked if I had any ringing in my ear. I told her 'no', and then later that day I noticed my ear ringing. I guess I had the ringing for so long, that my mind blocked it out. The funny thing is that for the first 6 weeks or so, it would come and go. I noticed it after I took a hot shower, and especially loud music or noises really made it flair up. For the last two weeks, it has not gone away. The crazy part is, that if I do end up losing my 100% of my hearing in my AN ear, it doesn't mean my tinnitus will go away. You can have roaring tinnitus and be 100% deaf. Weird, huh? When I'm just sitting around, I notice the ringing. But if my brain is engaged in an activity, I don't notice it. To get an idea of the personal concert in my head I get to listen to 24/7, click here.
Now that my surgery is less than a month away, it's definitely getting more 'real'. I'm in the process of making a list of things I need to get done, and take care of before the big day. Some big important things, and some really big important things, like which video game I want to buy for my recovery time, etc. I'm staying very active, running, biking, pilates, even some fight training! I am enjoying the summer, trying to get in 3 months of summer fun in 1 month. I still haven't seen the new Terminator movie though, that HAS to happen soon...
Funny story, a couple weeks ago I went for a walk around my neighborhood, and some crazy lady was taking down a yard sign that said something about "bring our troops home" or something. As I walked by, enjoying the fresh air and the concert in my AN ear, she said something like 'that idiot Bush sent them over to Iraq, I can't wait until Obama brings them home'. Usually I let comments like that go, but no, not this time! I replied, "Wait a second! What about the idiot Obama who is sending troops to Afghanistan?" She said that 'oh, but we NEED troops there!'. It's frustrating when people so blindly follow their party line. Apparently our 'world police' policy is only OK when her party leader initiates the war. My new favorite bumper sticker is "The USA is making enemies faster than our armies are killing them".
That was a fun tangent. Now that I've crossed the line and offended every single one of this blogs readers.... ; - )
Back to AN-business, I've been recommended the book, "The Brain that Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge. It discusses how complex, and powerful the brain/mind is. I'm going to look for it this week. People from the AN forum said it was a good read for anybody, but especially for people going through different brain trauma/issues. I'll post an update of my book reading progress later on...
Another thing I was thinking about, was shaving a message in my hair so the surgeons will know what ear to operate on. I was thinking about "left/wrong" about my left ear, and "right/right" on my right side. Or maybe "it's over hear[sic]" with an arrow pointing to my right ear. Any other ideas? I'm not sure if neurosurgeons have a sense of humor, so I might just go with a mohawk type haircut, something like this. Let me know what you think...

5 comments:

  1. Darin, I have read this book, i loaned it out. I also have a DVD on neuroplasticity. I think it is a real possibility that the brain is maleable...you can make new synaptic connections... Keep after it.
    Mad props on the comment to the lady

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I'd like to say "mad props" to the only mother I know who says "mad props." Thanks for keepin' it real Mom.

    Darin, thanks for giving updates and keeping us all in the loop. I have to say, the mohawk idea is good, but only if you dye one side green (the correct side that the surgery is supposed to happen on) and the other side can be red. It will be like that old game "Red light, green light" but with scalpels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey buddy,
    I have to say besides all of the interesting information you have given me, I am pretty impressed with your writing skills. You write with a wit but without losing focus. You'd get an A in blogging if I was your prof. Maybe a English degree is in your future.... If you ever need someone to accompany you to a church service, I will be there. Great blog and never be surprised as to what God can do. You will be better for all that you have been through and those you touch will be as well. You have a lot to give man always have. Sometimes you don't realize it until dramatic circumstances enter you life.

    This too shall pass....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't give too much thought to Andy's advice, I'm pretty sure he's just trying to live vicariously through you, since there's NO WAY a person (who will remained unnamed at this time) would ever let him get a mohawk, shave his head, etc. But then again, you do have the "tumor excuse" So when people look and wonder why you have a mohawk dyed red and green, they'll just be like, "Oh, he has a tumor, let him do what he wants."

    Let me know if you need any help in making some of your big decisions, such as what video game to buy pre-surgery, which movies are a must-see in theater...I definitely don't want these impending issues to be neglected!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please take Mark with you to see the Terminator. If he goes with you, he won't try to take me on my birthday or anniversary.

    Good job standing up to the crazy lady. I would have just called her an idiot under my breath and then the boys would have quickly reminded me that calling people names is wrong!

    ReplyDelete

Counter