The physical therapy session last Friday was really cool! The machine had a platform the size of pillow, and the PT would 'release' the platform that I would have to balance on for 30 seconds at a time. The machine also had cartoon-ish mountain backdrop, so that the room I was in was completely out of my vision. The PT would then release the platform, and also make the mountain's move. This would totally make my two good balance systems (Muscles & Joints, and Vision) out of wack, leaving my ears to try to control my upright status. Upright status was compromised. Fortunetly, I was strapped in to a full body harness, which was clipped in at both shoulders to prevent falling down. The PT ensured me there were no hidden cameras to humiliate me at a later date.
One of the more fun tests/workouts that we did was very video game-ish. I controlled a little guy on a computer monitor, taken straight out of the Atari days. As I moved the platform beneath my feet, a little stick figure-guy moved accordingly. The goal is to keep the little dude in a small square box on the screen. I would've done that all day long, it was fun and challenging. The machine had a 'looseness' setting of the platform as well, making the difficulty level adjustable as well.
After about 25 minutes of torture, I mean testing, the machine spit out 2 sheets of graphs and charts. The PT went over the results of the testing, and said in three weeks, we'll do it again and see how much I have improved.
I also received about 30 minutes worth of balance exercises to do, in addition to the two walks per day. It is really nice to have something I'm supposed to do. It breaks up my eating, napping, reading regime quite well. I have PT twice a week for the next three weeks. I am thinking I am going to run on August 1st. I probably won't inform the PT of this...I'll tell her that I sleep walked and woke up in the street if running doesn't go well ; - )
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You may not tell your PT about your Aug. 1 run, but because your MOTHER reads your blog, I may tell her!!!! Just kidding. I just have to say that you are making remarkable progress, Darin. And your attitude is inspiring. You don't complain and I know it can't be easy to do what the PT person asks. It would have been a huge challenge for me to do that test on Friday. As I watched you, I was just amazed when the floor and walls were both moving that you could do so well. Keep up the good work and I will keep praying. MOM
ReplyDeleteI totally think they should bring Atari games back, I would play them. Sad to think our nephews probably don't know what an Atari is, right along with cassette tapes and pagers. Speaking of bringing things back, Andy saw the commercial for the new GI Joe movie last night, I thought he was going to fall off the couch with excitement. He was literally in mid-sentence when the commercial came on, stopped and after the commercial was over had no idea what he was going to say. I can't remember if you were a GI Joe fan or just stuck to Ninja Turtles when you were younger.
ReplyDeleteI think it's cool how they make everything video-gamish now. At our YMCA they have stationary bikes that have screens where you can pick different outdoor courses to ride and there is even a game where you fly around and shoot these dragon things. Have to say still even with all that distraction I still am not a fan of biking.
Glad to hear therapy is going well. It will be really neat to see how much progress you've made after a few weeks! Praying for you!