Sunday, July 12, 2009

Post-Surgery, Day 12.

I have started to email people separately about the recovery process, and it isn't the most exciting writing about the same thing different ways to everybody. I will try to post more stuff on here from now on, as far as the recovery process. Pre-surgery it was a little bit therapeutic to write about things that were always on my mind. Now that life has shifted to the recovery phase, it's less enjoyable activity, writing about progress, etc. Just wanted to you to know that you're going to have to hassle me to keep these updates going ; - ) Thanks so much for all the cards, prayers, notes etc. as well!
Yesterday was a pretty huge day! I did many 'firsts', went to Big Bob's Pizzeria for lunch, and went to Family Fare! I couldn't wait to get home and take a nap. It's amazing, two months ago, I ran a half-marathon(13.1 miles) and now I eat lunch and am exhausted! I also made my own salad for dinner, and didn't cut any finger's off. It really is incredible the 1,000's of tasks that you accomplish every day, and never think twice about doing them. Putting on my boxer-briefs is still the most dangerous task I do every day. Taking a shower is also nerve-racking; visions of falling over, getting a concussion and drowning in an inch of water are all too real.
Grocery shopping was also quite the adventure. Having a big, sturdy walker in the shape of a grocery cart was fun, for a minute or two. Then, my legs started wanting to move faster than me head was ready. I wish I had a video camera follow me around, because people had to wonder what kind of person gets drunk in the afternoon and then goes grocery shopping. I definitely could not 'drive' my cart in a straight line. I also wondered how I just spent 50$ on like 3 bags of groceries! Good grief it's summer! I thought fruits and veggies would be cheaper than that!
There is no change in my facial movement so far. I am doing my 100 facial exercises at least twice a day. This is about double what Dr. Daniels told me to do. If I never get movement back, my good side of my face is going to be super tone! My scar, I've been told, is looking really good. I alternate Aloe Vera and Antibiotic ointment, in the morning and at night. I still have yet to look at pictures of it, I'm not really into blood and guts. Someday...just not today, and probably not tomorrow. ; - )
I've been sleeping GREAT being at home, about 11 hours straight last night. I am totally getting used to waking up naturally. Alarm clocks are evil, evil devices. I would've slept even longer, but some jerk neighbor decided to mow their lawn at 11AM this morning ; - ) Who gets up at that hour, seriously!??!? What a nut job.
I took my first walk outside this afternoon. I staggered my way one block down Michigan Ave., walked down 1/2 block down Baynton, and returned. I noticed that I leaned toward my right side, I had to conciously 'steer' left. It was pretty slow and methodical (No cane!), but a huge success considering 12 days ago people were horsing around inside my skull. I am REALLY REALLY REALLY looking forward to getting back to being physically active. My goal for '09 (before tumor was found) was to be in a triathlon. I still may be able to squeeze one in if I go south at the end of the year. I may substitute a running race in the fall though. That is going to be quite an amazing feeling.
The left side of my body was feeling like it got steam-rolled, but is improving pretty well. My heel stopped aching, and my left calf isn't quite as stiff. My hip is still really tight, and painful when I stretch it. My forearm has about 6 inches of bruise area on it, most likely from the two IV's that were in for about 6 days. I think all the soreness was due to sleeping/sitting on my left side for a week straight, during the hospital stay. All little friendly reminders of being at the hospital. My incision area still has a tightness feeling to it, but it doesn't 'hurt' really. I did sneeze for the first time two days ago! I thought for sure my brains were scattered all over the place behind me, but miracously, they stayed put. It took several minutes for my heartrate to return to normal, it honestly was kind of scary.
Mark is bringing some of the boys over in a little bit, so I'm going to rest my eyes to prepare. Have a nice day!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you don't think walking a block isn't being physically active. Really after laying in a hospital bed for seven days, walking a block now could be compared to running a marathon pre-surgery:) Although, I know you're pretty determined, so I'm sure you're going to be to pre-surgery activity before you know it. You'll be looking back on this time during one of your 18 mile runs thinking how laying in bed wasn't that bad:)

    Andy has been told about Big Bob's and now that is definitely on the agenda for next time we come to MI.

    And many kudos to you for slicing vegetables without getting your fingers, I have no excuse and I cut myself and run into things all the time. Yesterday I hit my elbow on a door and my other one on the bathroom sink really hard and slammed the car door into my hip, now I have two nice marks and a bruise. If I ever had your surgery I'm sure I'd have to wear padding to keep from injuring myself:)

    Thanks for the update. We're praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Counter