Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Big Decisions with Surgery under 1 month away


When one comes to a point in his/her life when brain surgery is less than one month away, you start to reflect on the things that matter. Things that you will remember for a lifetime. Decisions that pre-tumor-awareness you wouldn't think twice about. I had one of those decisions to make tonight, as I was picking things up for my everything-from-scratch-yes-even-the-dressing Greek Salad (ask Ben, it's awesome). After filling my cart with food so natural it doesn't even have a food label on it, I strolled down the frozen food aisle. It was in aisle 5 at my friendly neighborhood grocer that a decision that would shape the next few days of my life had to be decided upon.
There must have been twenty different flavor's of Haagen-Dazs. How could one be limited to choosing just a single pint of this taste bud-exploding, mind-altering bliss? It cannot be done. It must not be done. Luckily, they had a 'buy 2' special as well. You know how 'diet' books always say, "never eat ice cream out of the carton, because you may eat more than if you put some in a bowl". That's absolutely preposterous. I eat directly out of the carton specifically so I WILL eat more than if I put some in a bowl! Isn't that the point of eating Haagen-Dazs anyways?
PS - A couple of weeks ago, another brand of expensive ice cream was on sale so I tried it out(It rhymes with Jen and Berry's). I will not make that same mistake again.

9 comments:

  1. Apparently when you tried...er...Jen and Berry's, you did not try Cherry Garcia! The cherry ice cream flavor is just right to not overwhelm you, while the chunks of cherries give it a little something extra and the fudge flakes are just enough occasional chocolate to satisfy, as I am not a huge chocolate lover.

    Okay, I will admit I can't remember the last time I had Haagen-Dazs, if ever?! Now you have peaked my interest and I feel the need to go and buy my beloved Cherry Garcia and a pint of Haagen-Dazs to do a little comparison. Any recommendations on a flavor?

    PS - I thought the whole point of buying a pint was so you didn't have to use a bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haagen-Dazs Rocky Road is the best, although, I'm not very picky about my ice cream. Anything with sugar and fat is good in my book!

    Mark can eat a whole pint of Haagen-Dazs Rum Raisin in one sitting. That's only 1080 calories and 68 grams of fat - but who's counting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Written" like a true Nicholls! A whole blog post on everyone's favorite dessert - Ice Cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darin.....you have reached nirvana....ice cream is not only tasty I believe every particle in every cell of our body is made of ice cream (an as yet to be discovered fact) and you are simply taking care of the bidness of those cells by nourishing and replenishing them. Totally altruistic.

    I love your writing style!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aside from the blasphemy regarding "Pinky and the Brain" Ice Cream (name withheld to protect anonymity), you made the right decision. Anytime there is a two for one sale involving ice cream you have to buy both.

    Pinky: So what are we gonna do tonight Brain?
    Brain: The same thing we do every night Pinky, try and take over the world . . . one pint of ice cream at a time . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Disclaimer legal notice.
    "The following comments are not approved of by the real Sarah. And furthermore someone has hijacked Sarah's username to harass innocent people. All postings on the internet with the username "Sarah" are being monitored by HSA and the offending party/s when identified will be shipped to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba for special interrogations."
    I like rum raisin.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just in case anyone needs further clarification, the "good husband / brother" did indeed hijacked Sarah's username and therefore the comment above should be disregarded as her statement.

    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I know the Nicholl's family loves ice cream, but your Grandpa Mellott could sure put it away too!
    I remember spending the night with your mom and being amazed at the amount of ice cream he could make vanish.....Ah...what memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,

    As you know, Dad usually gets a very very small cup and puts one scoop of ice cream in it--but does that 6 or 7 times at a sitting! He says it doesn't count if you eat only one scoop at a time. Anyway, I got him pineapple/coconut HD ice cream and he admitted that he ate out of the container--the whole thing at one sitting . . . so he is changing . . . even at the old age of 60! Mom

    ReplyDelete

Counter