I had my 3 months post-op appointment this morning with Dr. Daniels, and he may have been in worse shape than I am. He said he pulled his back out last week, so this is his first day back at work. I didn't inquire as to how he did it; hopefully it wasn't pulling at a tumor.
He downgraded me to a '3' on the House-Brackmann paralysis scale. '1' would be normal, and '6' would be complete paralysis. I was a '4' at our last appointment 6 weeks ago. He said he could set me up with a facial nerve specialist to 'speed up' the healing process, but that would require me sleeping with little patches stuck on my face. If there hasn't been any improvement yet, I would've definitely been interested, but I am happy with the progress thus far without sleeping with wires all over me. At my 6 month appointment, Dr. Daniels said I would have the same option as far as the nerve specialist goes, if I so choose.
The BAHA surgery is where things really get interesting...Dr. Daniels said that "...the soonest I do BAHA surgery is 3 months post-op, but because you're a little different than most, I'd like to wait longer." The 'you're a little different' part is never a good thing to hear your doctor say. He went on to explain that because I have TWO (news to me) titanium plates in my head, each about nickel-sized, it's going to take longer for my bones to heal. The plates are actually attached to my skull with screws, and that the plan would be to remove them when the surgery takes place. At the same time, he would screw in an anchor behind my ear for the BAHA. After the anchor heals, another surgery would be required to actually put in the post that would go through my skin. The surgery's would be done by going thru my existing scar. The surgery's are short, half an hour or so, and very simple compared to other's. A while ago, if I knew I had to have a surgery like this, I'd be very stressed out and worried. Now it's like no big deal. It's done under general anethesia and you get to leave the hospital the same day? Piece of cake.
My next appointment with Dr. Daniels is in 3 months. January 14th, 2010. Whoa, does that sound futuristic or what?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for the update. PTL for continual improvements. -Dad
ReplyDeleteVery interesting report! I didn't realize about the two plates either. (Guess that explains why you are a Nicholls and not Nichol. . .) Anyway, many thanks to our God who is THE HEALER! Mom
ReplyDelete