I can't believe it's been almost two months since I've last posted a 'physical' update...I've had progress, so here it is:
Eye = I don't use AkwaGel anymore. Days that I stay caged up in my little cavern, I barely use any eye drops as well. When I go different places, I always bring them with me and use them generously.
Facial Paralysis = My smile is getting more even, I can actually show teeth on the right side when I smile now! I still think I look pretty weird, but I think when I meet new people, they don't really think anything is messed up. When I laugh it is more obvious that the right side doesn't move as much, but it still improving. I am trying sandwiches again, but I split my lip on Wednesday, but it's happening less and less.
Voice = 100%! I can continue dreaming of making American Idol once again!
Mouth = My mouth is salivating almost equally now, no more food-loss issues(gross I know!). The sour taste is still really stupid, but a smaller issue compared to the rest.
Balance = It's hard to quantify. Sometimes I can go almost all day, and not even really notice anything, and then other days, it's more of a struggle. Certain scenarios affect it big time, like a lack of sleep, darkness, or a busy environment (grocery store, work, etc.). It's more annoying than debilitating I would say. Things like before I could just fly down a flight of stairs, and now I take one step at a time, with a hand on the railing. As my balance improves, so does my confidence in my balance and they go hand-in-hand in taking on new post-surgery obstacles.
Hair = I've had my second post-op hair cut, and both hair stylists get all weird when I tell them about my surgery. They get quiet and awkward almost. Whatever. It's just a ginormous scar on a 25 year old's head, right?
SSD = I am not 100% certain that I'm going to get a BAHA, but I am closer to making that decision. I couldn't hear everything that my little group was talking about at the 5k race this morning. When people in a group laugh, and you're like "huh, what?" is not a fun time. At work, I can usually hear what is said, but people have sat down in a chair on my right side, and scare the heeby jeebeez out of me because I never heard them sit down. Having another surgery sounds like torture right now, and I really don't want to have a titanium post in my head forever, but SSD really does stink. Does it stink bad enough to have another surgery? Hhhhmmmm...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Darin, I read this last night. Glad to see so much progress. -Dad
ReplyDelete