Mark showed no mercy, winning the 5K time of 26:39, while Luke D. and Dave M. kept the same pace with me and finished in about 27:29. It was an amazing feeling, knowing that 80 days ago I was in the OR getting my tumor removed. I am so grateful. My body felt really good, the worst part was my dry eye. I stopped several times to put drops in my eye; it was a little breezy and that is brutal for my eye. All in all, it was really fun. Except for Luke's shorts. If they were any shorter, he'd have been arrested for indecent exposure.
And because running my first 5k race after surgery isn't a big enough event for one day, I took my bike out for a ride for the first time post-op. I took it to a big vacant parking lot behind my house, and of course, as soon as I get moving a little, a SUV pulls in and drives through to the back and parks. Seriously! I had brain surgery, my balance is still suspect, and a random SUV pulls into an ENTIRELY VACANT parking lot when I first try out riding a bike???!?!!! Whatever. Other than that ridiculousness, I was a little sketchy first starting off. I think it was more due to the fact that I haven't ridden a road bike (harder to balance [due to skinnier tires] than a mountain bike) in many months. I rode around a few times, and then pedaled home. It was awesome. I feel like a 8 year old who rode a bike without training wheels for the first time.
In the non-athletic-news column, my face is continuing to get more movement back. My eye, unfortunately will still not close completely. It seems to be self-moisturizing a little bit, but still gets scratchy after being outside, or in particular air-conditioned environments. I'm still wearing the eye patch at night. My next appointment with Dr. Daniels is on Oct. 1st, and I am thinking he will suggest electric facial nerve therapy (or something, I forget what exactly he called it before).
The sour taste in my mouth is still hanging on, some days are sourer than others. (Did you know 'sourer' was a word? I did not!)
I still have moments where my balance is compromised. I get a little wobbly, especially in crowded areas. I noticed it today at the race. I would strain to hear what someone was saying while walking, and watching out for cars and people, and then stepping up a curb, and all the sudden it was difficult to stay 'steady'. When you stop and really think about what it takes to do something, there is like a billion steps to a seemingly simple task. And when an ability that you never had to concentrate on before is compromised (balance, hearing, and vision for me), well, no wonder why I still enjoy sleeping 12 hours a day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Congrats - You looked awesome out there!!!
ReplyDeleteTHANKFUL for God's healing in you. It was great to see you out there running--since I know it's something you enjoy so much. You made it look effortless (almost)! Mom
ReplyDelete