I had the first of two parts of my BAHA implant surgery done on June 3rd, 2010. And because I've totally neglected this blog, I am just now getting around to updating it today, July 1st. The surgery was a success, even though I was in the surgery room for about 2.5 hours, instead of the 'under 1 hour' that was told to me. The surgery consisted of placing an anchor in my skull, behind my ear, which the post (to be installed next surgery) will attach to. And also, taking this out of my skull:
I am still going to physical therapy for my facial exercises once a month. I am using a neuro-muscular stimulator. It's basically a little computer box that has 4 electrical pads/leads coming out of it, 2 positive, 2 negative. I put one set of my top lip, and one set on my chin, and let it zap away for 30 minutes. It sends electrical signal through the skin, into the nerves that connect to my facial nerve. In theory, this will get the nerve 'used to' having signal go through it again, and help it heal. The improvements have been small and slow, but there has been noticeable improvement every month. It's a test of patience to do something for half an hour everyday, and not see results for weeks, if not months. I'd be lying if I said I have not been scolded for not using it enough. Another thing of note, my right eye still does not cry. It stays naturally moist like my left eye though, so that is awesome. It's just peculiar to me that it doesn't cry. Yes, I know this because I watched '7 Pounds' last month, and that movie got me!
I don't have a date yet when my third (and final!) head-related surgery will be. I also realize that I'm posting this exactly one year from my surgery. I'm going to sleep on it, and hopefully come up with something profound to say in the morning. Don't hold your breathe....
Congratulations on your first year anniversary of brain tumor removal surgery! What a year of healing it has been! I can hardly wait until your next surgery is complete and you are hearing on both sides.
ReplyDeletePsalm 89:1 I will sing of the mercy of the LORD forever!