Thursday, July 1, 2010

1 year ago, my head got 2 new holes in it.

At this very moment, 1 year ago, an acoustic neuroma, was being removed from inside my skull. I celebrated today by sleeping in until 11AM, and I'm still in my PJ's at 12:30PM. As I look back and think about how difficult the road to recovery was, and how a year later I still have some after effects from the surgery, the thing that stands out the most is that I never felt alone. I always knew I had a great family, but they really shined when I needed them most. From Julie or Robyn enjoying the sleepless nights on a tiny, hard bed at the hospital, to mom and dad always being there during the day, to everybody else visiting and bringing cards and presents and snacks.
Being 25 and going through a stage of 'helplessness' has really taught me more than I would've if I never would have went through this. I would take it back in a second to be my 'old normal' again, but I wouldn't be as strong and as grateful if I didn't go through 'the fire'. Every time I get to go for a run, or a bike, I thank God for healing me. I've never enjoyed the fresh air, or a beautiful moon, or a pretty butterfly before this tumor like I do now. For some people, I think it takes God allowing something pretty bad in your life to make you realize how awesome He and His creation is. I am one of those people.
I wondered if I personally, would ever see anything 'good' come out of this. I think I am. I met a friend of a friend who had a brain tumor, and I think he was encouraged to see that I had a normal life after the surgery. People have told me that reading this blog has helped them get them through tough spots because they know that things can get better.
I always thought of what is the first thing I'm going to say to God when I see him in heaven. I never really knew what I was going to say or ask. Now I think I'm going to say, "I'm so glad to see YOU". And then I'm going to be able to hear with both ears, Him maybe say, "Me too".
"In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

1 comment:

  1. Something great DID come of this...
    2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4

    ReplyDelete

Counter