Saturday, January 30, 2010

1-30-10

It's hard to believe it's been 7 months since my brain surgery. In some ways it feels like it was just yesterday, in other ways it feels like it was years ago. I'll never forget walking into Blodgett Hospital, wondering what 'it' was going to be like. It's amazing to read through my old posts, and see the progress. Hopefully the Internet will be around for a long time, because this blog would take forever to re-write.
I had my 6 month checkup with Dr. Daniels a week or so ago. Everything is healing properly, and he said I'm doing very good. He said that as I get older, I'll be at a greater fall risk because of my compromised balance system. He said it's critical that I stay fit and active as I age. It's kind of scary to think about, because I still have special moments of time right now that feel 'wobbly' and accident-prone. It's possible that my balance is still recovering and is still improving though, so that's encouraging.
I received a pamphlet on a new BAHA (bone anchored hearing aid) to look over. Now two different companies make them, but because they're heartless and only care about money(I'm only partially kidding), they make separate, different sized posts. Meaning, you have to decide which BAHA you want, and then implant that companies specific post. The BAHA's are not interchangeable. I have a demonstration on February 22nd with the Audiologist to go over the options. I did find out that while the surgery is nearly-permanent, the anchor and post is removable through another surgery. So in 15 years when something even better comes out, I could get the post and anchor removed. That would make a neat necklace.
I had a CT - Temporal bone and an MRI w+wo Contrast last Thursday at Blodgett. The CT is to find out exactly how much bone I have left, and where Dr. Daniels can put the post in. Because my tumor was in the 'large' catagory, I have more skull bone missing than most patients. Dr. Daniels seemed some what concerned about this aspect, but he said it wouldn't rule out the surgery, just make it more precise. The MRI was just for a baseline, and in 5 years I will have another one to compare it to. The thought of having no MRI's for 5 years brought quite a smile to my face.
Speaking of 'face', I have an appointment with a facial nerve specialist, Yvonne, on Monday, 2-1-10. I am a '3' on a Brackmann's facial paralysis scale, that goes from 1 to 6. My smile is a '2', but because my blink is slower on my right side, I am overall a '3'. Daniels said he thinks it will help improve symmetry, so it's worth a shot. I still feel a tightness in my cheek, it sometimes feels like it is going to cramp, similar to when your foot cramps. I don't really think about my facial weakness until I smile, then I am aware of it. My eye is moisterizing itself totally again, which is the biggest 'quality of life' improvement of all. I still have the annoying sour taste in my mouth 24/7. Again, this is not complaining, just explaining ; - ) I am so happy that I am recovered to this extent.
Life with one broken ear continues to be an adventure. I went out this morning and met the Grand Rapids Running Club for a little run around John Ball Park Zoo. I was running next to Brandon(who just happened to work with Brian as a medic, small world!) and someone would come up on the right and say "Hi guys", and I would swear it was Brandon talking, and I'd think "He is crazy, who is he talking to?". Then I'd notice somebody next to me out of my peripheal vision on the right, and have a heart attack because he seemingly appeared out of nowhere. Hopefully nobody got completely ignored by me, I don't want them to wonder, "whats up with the new guy, what a jerk." It was fun though. And about 5 degrees out. I was surprised there was about 50 people just as crazy as I am out there.
And there is my 6 month update, 1 month late.

1 comment:

  1. Your entry for the 7 mo. anniversary was really interesting--and the pictures amazing! What a blessing to know the tumor is GONE! You know I will be praying for God's will to be done regarding your BAHA and your continued adjustments. You are quite a guy--and I am blessed to have you for my son. Mom

    ReplyDelete

Counter